Can Dogs Eat Cotton Candy? Is Cotton Candy Bad For Dogs?
Cotton candy is a popular treat for people. During the summer or at festivals cotton candy seems to be everywhere. Available in many different, sugary flavors, cotton candy seems like it would be a safe, if unhealthy, treat for your dog. Your dog may be begging for a piece of cotton candy, but is it safe? Can dogs eat cotton candy?
In short, cotton candy is not safe for dogs to eat. Cotton candy often contains ingredients that can be exceedingly hazardous to a dog's health if eaten in even little amounts. What exactly are the ingredients in cotton candy, and how do they harm a dog's health? We'll cover cotton candy ingredients, how they are harmful to dogs, and what to do if you dog accidentally eats a piece of cotton candy.
What Ingredients Are Used To Make Cotton Candy?
Cotton candy's major ingredient is refined sugar, which is a very unhealthy ingredient for your dog. Cotton candy is a pretty basic food that contains very little ingredients. It is mainly food coloring and sugar, neither of which have any nutritional benefit for dogs.
When your dog gets a piece of cotton candy, they're just consuming granulated white sugar. Although dogs require sugar, they can get it by eating food from their regular diet. Extra sugar does not benefit dogs.
Dogs might become accustomed to eating sugary foods because they are highly addicting. If you give your dog sugary foods, their drive to seek out human foods can increase and become problem behavior.
Cotton candy is usually colored with food coloring to make it more enticing. These dyes, however, may contain chemicals that are harmful to your dog's health or cause allergic responses.
Many sweet treats, such as cotton candy, use an artificial sweetener called xylitol instead of sugar. Xylitol is a healthier sugar substitute for humans. It has a low calorie count, dissolves quickly in the body, and tastes like sugar. Xylitol, unlike sugar and other artificial sweeteners, does not cause tooth decay, making it one of the safest sugar substitutes for humans.
When xylitol is digested, it causes the pancreas of the dog to release excessive levels of insulin. This causes a sudden drop in blood sugar, leading in tiredness, shivering, weakness, seizures, unconsciousness, and, in the worst-case scenario, death.
Never give your dog any food that contains xylitol. It can be hard to distinguish a food that contains xylitol from one that contains sugar. For this reason, avoid giving your dog people food if possible.
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Cotton Candy?If your dog manages to get a hold of a small piece of cotton candy, he may experience some digestive issues such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Keep an eye of your dog in the following hours to ensure he is ok.
If you realize that your dog has consumed xylitol-containing cotton candy, call a veterinarian right away and explain the situation. Typically, the vet will ask for details on your dog's breed, size, and how much cotton candy he or she was able to consume. It is the information you supply that will help your veterinarian decide what to do next.
If xylitol is left in a dog's system for more than thirty minutes, the dog's body will absorb it, and you may notice indications of xylitol toxicity in that dog.
Signs & symptoms of xylitol toxicity include:
- Liver Damage
With prompt action and care, your veterinarian should be able to help your furry friend recover from xylitol toxicity. It is important to get your dog advanced care as fast as possible.
Review: Can Dogs Eat Cotton Candy?Letting your dog eat a piece of cotton candy might seem harmless, but the reality is that it could be very harmful. Some cotton candy contains xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Still, cotton candy that contains non-toxic sugar is also bad for your furry friend.
The excessive sugar in cotton candy can wreak havoc on your dogs digestive system and cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Excessive sugar intake is linked to obesity and health problems in dogs. If your dog eats any cotton candy and experiences symptoms of digestive distress or xylitol poisoning, call your veterinarian for help.
We all want to spoil our dogs, but cotton candy should never be given to your dog, no matter how much they are begging. Opt for dog-safe treats that won't put your dog in danger.