Can Dogs Eat Lasagna? Is Lasagna Bad For Dogs?
Lasagna is a fantastic pasta meal, and it's difficult to find someone who dislikes it. If you are eating lasagna and your furry friend is giving you those puppy-dog eyes, you might consider sharing it with your dog. But can dogs eat lasagna?
The answer is, unfortunately, no. Garlic, onions, and tomato sauce are common ingredients in lasagna, and all three ingredients are harmful to your dog's health. Aside from that, if your dog is lactose intolerant, the cheese in the lasagna could be harmful.
We'll cover lasagna ingredients and how they affect your dog, what to do if your dog eats some lasagna on accident, and healthy alternatives to give your dog as a treat.
What Ingredients Are Used In Lasagna?
The most common kind of lasagna is made by layering a rich tomato-based sauce with garlic, onions, vegetables and lasagna noodle sheets. It's typically covered with a creamy mixture of milk, butter, flour, parmesan cheese and grated cheese. Lasagna normally contains several ingredients that are harmful to your dog, including:
Onion & Garlic
Your dog should never be given onion or garlic at any time. Anemia and a low red blood cell count can occur if your dog consumes any garlic or onion.
Pepper is generally safe for dogs when ingested in tiny amounts. However, if there is a lot of pepper in the Lasagna, your dog may get an upset stomach.
If your dog consumes a large amount oregano, it can badly effect his digestive system, leading him to vomit or have diarrhea. It has also been linked to stomach ulcers, a slowed heart rate, and low blood pressure in more severe cases.
Avoid dairy products like cheese if your dog is lactose sensitive. Cheese consumption may cause vomiting or diarrhea. Most dogs have trouble digesting dairy products and should not be given any cheese.
Potential Risks Of Giving Your Dog Lasagna
We've covered the ingredients used in lasagna and how they can affect your dog. However, there are also more reasons why feeding lasagna to your dog is a bad idea.
Many dogs are lactose intolerant, which means that consuming large amounts of milk or cheese might cause an upset stomach. Because lasagna contains so much dairy, it is likely to upset your dog's digestive system.
Dogs who eat lasagna are at risk of developing pancreatitis, especially if they aren't used to it. Pancreatitis (pancreatic inflammation) is a painful illness that causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fatigue. Eating new or varied foods, especially rich and fatty dishes like lasagna, might trigger it in dogs.
Pancreatitis symptoms may emerge immediately after eating greasy foods. In mild situations, your veterinarian can prescribe medicine. Hospitalization is required for more serious situations. Pancreatitis can, unfortunately, be lethal in some circumstances.
Lasagna is heavy in fat since it contains beef, cheese, and cooking oil. Lasagna is quite likely to trigger pancreatitis in dogs, especially those who have already had the disease.
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Lasagna?Because it contains onion, garlic, and a high salt level, tomato sauce is one of the primary ingredients in lasagna that is detrimental to your dog. A high salt diet can cause dehydration in dogs, just as it can in humans. If your dog eats lasagna, he may experience the following symptoms:
- Reduced Appetite
- Increased Urination
If your dog eats lasagna, pay close attention to them and take them to your veterinarian right away if you notice any of the aforementioned signs and symptoms.
Review: Can Dogs Eat Lasagna?Though a piece of lasagna once in a while won't hurt you, eating too much of it in the long run might lead to problems like diabetes, hypertension, or obesity, which can lead to a slew of other problems. In the case of dogs, however, even a small bit of lasagna can be hazardous.
To avoid any unnecessary trips to the veterinarian and to save your dog from becoming ill or experiencing any of the unpleasant symptoms, avoid feeding your dog lasagna. Lasagna is abundant in calories, and the rich, fatty components could irritate your stomach or even cause pancreatitis, a potentially fatal condition.