can dogs eat lollipops?

Can Dogs Eat Lollipops? Will My Dog Get Sick If He Eats A Lollipop?

Can Dogs Eat Lollipops? Will My Dog Get Sick If He Eats A Lollipop?

You know the scenario - you dropped a lollipop on the floor and your furry friend ran over and ate it faster than you could react. But can dogs eat lollipops? Are lollipops bad for dogs? Should I take my dog to the veterinarian?

These are some of the questions that may or may not come to mind. The short answer is no, dogs should not be given lollipops. If your dog accidentally eats a lollipop, he should be ok.

Eating a lollipop may cause digestive issues for your pup. Read on to learn everything about lollipops and how they affect your dog.

What Are Lollipops Made From?

Lollipops, often known as suckers, are a hard, sweet, flavored candy mounted on a stick.   Lollipops are a popular sweet that has been around for a long time.

Lollipops made of water, sugar, corn syrup, natural and artificial flavorings, and citric acid.  Sugar-free lollipops are created using xylitol, an artificial sweetener.

Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

Dogs should not be given lollipops as a treat.  Lollipops are a choking hazard for dogs and can promote periodontal disease, obesity, diabetes, and other health issues if consumed in excessive quantities and on a regular basis.

If your dog ate a piece of lollipop, he will most likely be alright, with the exception that he may have stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea that should last no longer than 24 hours.

multi-colored lollipop

Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog ate a sugar-free lollipop, it probably contains the artificial sweetener known as Xylitol.

Xylitol is extremely harmful to dogs because it produces a quick release of insulin from the pancreas rather than a steady release, resulting in a significant reduction in the dog's blood sugar known as hypoglycemia. Within 10 to 60 minutes of eating xylitol, this can occur. This is a potentially fatal condition.

If your dog has consumed a xylitol-sweetened lollipop and/or the stick, contact your veterinarian right away. This is a life-threatening situation. If you treat your dog right away, he has an excellent chance of making a full recovery.

Allergies & Health

It's worth noting that certain lollipops include allergies.  If your dog is allergic to any of them, you should remove the lollipop from his or her mouth immediately.

Too much sugar in your dog's diet will put him at risk for teeth rot. Tooth decay in dogs can result in more serious health problems in the long run. Processed sugars, like the harmful germs created by a decaying or infected tooth, can promote heart disease, so they should be avoided.

It's a good idea to brush your dog's teeth if he's just eaten sugary treats to avoid complications. Teeth-cleaning chews or dog toothpaste can be purchased at your local pet store.

dog begging for lollipop

Review: Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

A dog should never be given lollipops or any other candy; if your dog eats a small amount and the ingredients list contains xylitol, take him to the vet or an emergency room as soon as possible.

The lollipop stick, as well as the candy it contains, is a choking hazard that can poke or clog your dog's GI tract, so make sure you toss it away somewhere where your beloved pups won't discover it.

It is important to exercise caution around your furry friend if there is candy around. Certain types of candy can also be a choking hazard to your dog. There are many dog-friendly treats and candies available that your dog will love.

Not all dogs would eat a lollipop or sweets if it was presented to them, but many would, especially if they had previously observed a human member of their family do so. Rather than giving your dog candy, it's a good idea to give him a healthier snack or treat.

Find the perfect gift for your dog