can dogs eat mandarins

Can Dogs Eat Mandarins? Are Mandarins Good For Dogs?

Can Dogs Eat Mandarins? Are Mandarins Good For Dogs?

Mandarins are little, easy to peel oranges that are sweeter than their larger counterparts while still being high in vitamin C. They're fantastic for lunchbox extras and quick and simple nutritious snacks. If you are eating a mandarin, your furry friend might be begging for a bite. But can dogs eat mandarins? Are mandarins safe for dogs to eat?

Yes, your dog can eat mandarins in moderation every once in a while. Dogs are not poisoned by mandarin oranges. Your dog, on the other hand, might not feel so good after having their fill of this delicious fruit. Citrus fruits are not meant for canine digestive systems and may certainly disturb them if eaten in large quantities. If your dog is diabetic, the sugar levels in mandarins may be dangerous, and you should contact your veterinarian.

bowl of mandarins

What Is A Mandarin?

Mandarin is a citrus fruit in the orange family. They are significantly smaller and sweeter than oranges, and their top and bottom are flatter. The skin is thinner and more easily peeled. While oranges are available all year, mandarins are more seasonal, coming just before the fall.

Mandarin varieties include clementines and tangerines. Mandarins have high levels of vitamins C and A, as well as other minerals, but your dog will get plenty of these nutrients from a comprehensive and balanced diet, so there is no need to augment their meal with mandarins.

Are Mandarins Good For Dogs?

Mandarins, when given on occasion and in moderation, can be a healthy treat for your dog. They contain vital nutrients and minerals that can benefit your dogs health.

Vitamin C

Mandarins are high in vitamins, particularly vitamin C, which functions as an antioxidant, preventing sickness and keeping your dog healthy. Vitamin C can also aid in the removal of free radicals and the reversal of oxidative stress.

Vitamin A

The vitamin A in mandarin will help protect your dog's mucous membranes and improve his night vision. Vitamin A is a vital nutrient involved in keeping your furry friend healthy. Mandarins also contains a lot of water to hydrate your dog.

Minerals

Mandarins contain a variety of minerals, including calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and zinc. These minerals are involved in several processes within the body and assist to energize and keep your dog healthy.

dog looking at mandarins

Potential Health Concerns

Mandarins are high in sugar, which can cause dental decay, obesity, diabetes, and other health issues in your dog. If your dog is already overweight, has diabetes, or other sugar-related health conditions, you should not feed him mandarins.

Clementines do not have seeds, but mandarins do, and these seeds contain trace levels of cyanide, which can be harmful to your dog's health. While the amount required is enormous, and your pet must chew or shatter the seeds to expose the cyanide, the risk still exists. As a result, it is strongly advised to remove any fruit seeds before giving your dog mandarins.

The peel of a mandarin is extremely sour and difficult for your pet's digestive system to break down, resulting in an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Another issue with eating the peels is that they are likely to contain pesticides, which can be extremely hazardous to your dog's health. Poisoning from pesticides can result in diarrhea, confusion, excessive drinking, tremors, rashes, and other symptoms.

How To Safely Feed Your Dog Mandarins

Many dogs dislike the flavor of citrus fruits, so don't be shocked if your dog shows little interest in trying a mandarin slice. If you want to give it to your dog, make sure to peel it and remove the seeds, and only give them a small slice to see if they like it.

If your dog doesn't seem to appreciate mandarin, try other non-citrus fruits like apples or bananas, or better yet, stick to some dog-friendly treats instead. Just remember to always follow the rule of 10% when feeding your dog treats, and make sure that just 10% of their daily calorie intake comes from treats, with the other 90% coming from a comprehensive and balanced diet.

fresh mandarins

Review: Can Dogs Eat Mandarins?

A few pieces of mandarin here and there should not harm your dog. Mandarins are not toxic to dogs, but their digestive systems are not intended to process citrus fruit, so if your dog consumes them, he will most likely get an upset stomach. Dogs who consume a significant amount of mandarins may get vomiting and diarrhea.

We hope you liked our look at the health concerns and benefits of feeding mandarins to your dog. Giving your dog mandarin oranges in moderation is fine, as there are certain health benefits. Too much, though, can contribute to obesity. If your dog eats a mandarin and experiences a negative reaction, consult your veterinarian.

Find the perfect gift for your dog