Can Dogs Eat Prunes? Are Prunes Bad For Dogs?
Most everyone is aware that prunes are promoted as a wholesome and healthy food for people. In addition to being rich in vitamins and minerals, they are said to aid in reducing the effects of osteoporosis and constipation. But how many of us have ever questioned whether prunes are healthy for dogs as well? Can dogs eat prunes? Are prunes bad for dogs?
It is advisable to avoid giving your dog prunes. Prunes are dried plums, which are not good for dogs as well. While a single prune or a slice of a plum is unlikely to have an impact on your dog, both are high in fiber and sugar, which can cause digestive distress in your dog. In this article, we will cover prunes, how they affect your dog, and what to do if your dog eats a prune.
Are Prunes Toxic To Dogs?
Prunes themselves are not toxic to dogs. If your dog consumes the pits, leaves, or stems, it might be fatal because they contain trace levels of cyanide. Your dog will typically be alright if they mistakenly eat a pitted prune.
Additionally, any negative effects from consuming prunes are likely to be minor and disappear within a few days. Naturally, if the prune your dog ate contained the pit, other issues could arise. The pit is a choking hazard for dogs. Prunes are not poisonous like chocolate or other foods.
Why Are Prunes Bad For Dogs?
It is not a good idea to give prunes to your dog. Prunes are not toxic to dogs, but they do pose a number of health concerns to your furry friend. Before feeding your dog a prune, keep the following things in mind:
A single prune can easily cause a small dog to suffocate. Prunes have a lot of sugar, which can make them cling together and form a giant glob that might easily get stuck in the windpipe of both small and large dogs. If your dog steals a prune from your plate and eats it before you can do anything, watch to make sure they do not choke on it.
A digestive blockage can be brought on by prunes. Prunes with pits are particularly dangerous to eat, in part because the pits can easily get stuck in your dog's digestive tract. Loss of appetite, upset stomach, bloating, and cramps are possible side effects.
Prunes contain a lot of sugar. Prunes are a sweet fruit that contains high levels of sugar. Excess sugar intake can lead to weight gain and obesity over time, and in the short term can lead to digestive issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Cyanide, in trace levels, can be found in plum pits. The plum pits are often removed before the plums are dried and turned into prunes. Prune pits may be toxic if eaten because they contain cyanide. Never let your dog eat or chew on the pit of a plum or prune.
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Prunes?If your dog only ate a prune or two, he should be fine. At most, eating too many prunes might make his stomach uncomfortable for a couple of days, but he will almost certainly adjust and return to normal after that. If your dog has managed to eat a lot of prunes, watch him for the following symptoms.
- Reduced Appetite
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms in your dog, it is best to contact your veterinarian. Tell your vet what your dog ate, how much, and when. Your veterinarian may have you bring your dog in for examination or give you at home remedies to help your furry friend.
Review: Can Dogs Eat Prunes?Dogs should not be fed prunes. There are more safer foods to feed your dog to enhance their diet of fiber and vitamins. Prunes are likely to upset your dog's stomach because of the high sugar content. Don't be alarmed if your dog accidentally ingests a prune; the symptoms are typically mild. Instead, keep a close eye on them and contact a veterinarian if required.
If your dog consumes a prune pit, you should call your veterinarian right away for guidance. Prune pits are significantly more toxic for dogs and should be avoided. Prunes are frequently given to dogs as treats, but because they are typically high in fiber and sugar, they can be harmful to some breeds. Before giving your pet any new food or treats, especially ones like prunes that may upset their stomach if ingested in excess, consult your veterinarian.