can dogs eat starburst?

Can Dogs Eat Starburst? Is Starburst Dangerous For Dogs?

Can Dogs Eat Starburst? Is Starburst Dangerous For Dogs?

Dogs are notorious for getting into things they shouldn't. Chewing up shoes, pillows, or getting into some food that has been left out. Some of these scenarios may be more serious than others.

You may be worrying right now because your dog got into a bag of starburst. Starburst may appear harmless owing to its softness, small size, and sweet taste, but can dogs eat starburst?

Eating Starburst candy can cause pain, discomfort, and an upset stomach in your furry friend. Dogs should never be given candy due to its highly-processed, sugary ingredients. It's crucial to know what to expect if your dog ate Starburst candy and what to do to keep your canine friend safe and healthy.

assorted starburst candy in wrappers

Why Is Starburst Candy Bad For Dogs?

Starburst does not contain any nutritional value for dogs. Starburst is a sweet, sugary candy that can have a number of negative health effects on your dog:

Sugar Content

Given that Starburst's key ingredients are sugar and corn syrup, it's easy to understand how the sugar content could be too much for dogs.

This amount of sugar is harmful to the dog's health and might cause digestive problems and stomach discomfort. Processed sugar does not provide any nutritional benefits for dogs.

Potential Choking Hazard

If your dog got into a bag of Starburst candies, he definitely did not take the time to remove the wrapper. The wrapper does not dissolve easily and can pose a choking hazard to dogs, with smaller dogs being more at risk.

Aside from the wrapper, the sticky and gummy nature of Starburst candies also pose a choking hazard. The candy can get lodged in your dogs throat and cause choking.

Xylitol Toxicity

Starburst sugar-free varieties contain artificial sweeteners. Xylitol is the most hazardous and common of them. While xylitol is safe for humans, it can trigger an insulin surge in dogs. This increase could be dangerous to your dog's health.

Any food containing xylitol should never be given to your dog as it is highly toxic.

Dental Issues

Starburst is extremely sticky and can quickly become stuck in your dog's teeth. In addition, dogs lack the enzyme that dissolves sugar. With these two factors in mind, it's easy to see how detrimental Starburst can be to your dog's teeth and gums.

dog looking at starburst trying to eat it

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Starburst Candy?

If your dog ate just one or two Starburst candies, chances are he should be fine. He may experience minor digestive issues, but nothing serious. You will want to monitor your dog to ensure that he is not experiencing any health issues.

If your dog eats a larger amount of Starburst candies, he could experience the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Stomach Pain
  • Change in Appetite
If your dog has eaten any amount of sugar-free Starburst candies that contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, he may show signs of xylitol poisoning:
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Trembling
  • Seizure
  • Collapse

Xylitol poisoning is a serious issue in dogs. If your dog consumes any food containing xylitol, call your veterinarian immediately for instruction on how to care for your dog.

unwrapped starburst candy

Review: Can Dogs Eat Starburst?

You should never give your dog a Starburst candy on purpose. It provides no nutritional value to your dog and is high in sugar. A high sugar diet  can cause your dog to gain weight, develop diabetes, and have a variety of other health issues.

If you have Starburst candy — or any other candy — in your house, make sure it's out of your dog's reach. If you have children, make sure they are aware of the danger the candy poses to your dog.

If your dog eats any Starburst, monitor your dog for any signs of a negative reaction. Call your veterinarian if your dog shows any signs of distress and note how much Starburst was eaten and what kind.

Find the perfect gift for your dog