can dogs eat white chocolate?

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate? Is White Chocolate Toxic For Dogs?

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate? Is White Chocolate Toxic For Dogs?

Most dog owners are aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs and they should not share any with their furry friend. Even a tiny bit of regular chocolate could poison your dog and cause death in a worst case scenario. Over time, different types of chocolate have become more popular, with white chocolate being one of them. So what's the deal with white chocolate? Can dogs eat white chocolate?

In short, no, you should never give your dog white chocolate. Even a small amount of chocolate is toxic to dogs. Theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, cannot be metabolized by dogs. It builds up to lethal amounts very rapidly and can be fatal. Despite having less theobromine than dark chocolate, any amount of white chocolate is still harmful.

Once white chocolate has been consumed, the standard treatment is to induce vomiting as soon as possible. This should always be done by a veterinary professional. In this article we will cover white chocolate and its ingredients, what effect it has on your dog, and what to do if your dog consumes white chocolate.

bar of white chocolate broken up

Dogs And Chocolate

The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate are extremely concentrated and as a result, contain anywhere between 130 and 450 mg of theobromine per ounce, whereas regular milk chocolate typically comprises between 44 and 58 mg/ounce. Caffeine levels in darker chocolates also tend to be higher.

Despite having substantially less theobromine than dark chocolate, white chocolate can still be harmful for our dogs to eat. White chocolate, in contrast, only has 0.25 mg of theobromine per ounce of chocolate. While this is significantly less than other types of chocolate, you should not view white chocolate as "safe" for your dog. Never give your dog any type of chocolate.

Dangers Of White Chocolate For Dogs

Toxic doses of theobromine have been reported to be as low as 20 mg/kg, so if your dog consumes a stash of white chocolate, it is definitely possible that he could be poisoned. Theobromine poisoning can cause the following symptoms:
  • Increased Heart Rate
  • Heart Arrhythmia
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Tremors
  • Twitching
  • Seizures

Though fatal poisonings in dogs are typically brought on by doses greater than 200 mg, any of these health issues can result in complications that result in fatalities.

dog begging for a piece of white chocolate to eat

Even though white chocolate contains less theobromine that dark chocolate, white chocolate's level of theobromine can cause health issues in dogs of any size, age, or breed.

White chocolate's fat and sugar content are also very harmful to dogs. Eating white chocolate can make dogs experience symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea as well as more severe illnesses like pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas that can be fatal.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats White Chocolate

You should call your vet right away if your dog consumes white chocolate or any type of chocolate, as watching your dog or waiting for signs can make it more difficult to treat your dog efficiently. Let your vet know the kind of chocolate was eaten, how much, and your dog's weight.

This will make it easier for your veterinarian to assess the amount of concern and expected symptom severity. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning might take hours to manifest but can last for days.

Time is of the essence; you should take your dog to your veterinarian right away. The standard therapy for chocolate ingestion in dogs is to induce vomiting as soon as possible after the chocolate has been swallowed. Your veterinarian may initiate hydration therapy and activated charcoal to prevent the body from absorbing theobromine.

white chocolate on a plate

Review: Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

There are numerous reasons not to offer your dog white chocolate. Although it is not as dangerous as other kinds of chocolate, it still contains the dangerous chemical theobromine - which is toxic to dogs. If your dog eats white chocolate, keep an eye out for any negative effects. Keep white chocolate and other items containing harmful substances out of your dog's reach.

Given the significant dangers of obesity and other health issues, white chocolate should never be given to dogs. If your dog eats white chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately. It is important to get your dog professional care as early as possible to mitigate any harm to your furry friend. Do not wait for symptoms of theobromine poisoning to appear.


Find the perfect gift for your dog